Good morning, folks, and happy Friday!
I am doing something really unusual today: I’m taking the day off! Monday too!
Instead of working, the boyfriend and I are driving down PCH, from San Francisco to Los Angeles. I have loads of friends to visit while we’re there, lazy beach time to accomplish, and favorite vegan restaurants to hit up. Awesome weekend ahead!
I cannot wait for this drive, either. Of course as a native Californian, I’ve driven parts of the gorgeous Pacific Coast Highway, but I’ve never done this much. Can’t wait! Plus this is totally a Litmus test for my relationship – I think you can tell a lot about a couple by how they handle a road trip together. Is that weird? Do you agree? Anyway, this is our first trip together and it’s going to be a long driving day!
We have to hit the road, so here’s what I have in store for my post today: essential vegan snacks for a road trip! It can be tempting to have junk from gas stations and fast food on the road. But that’s far from nutritious, and it can be hard to find good vegan grub.
Here are my vegan road trip essentials:
– Water water water. Don’t forget to hydrate on a long trip! I have a couple big bottles of water and my trusty refillable bottle. If you have one of those bottles with a built-in filter, now’s the time to use it!
– Green juice. More hydration, plus some serious nutrition! This is our breakfast. I made Blended Recipes’ Apple Motini juice, because it’s delicious and green-juice-newbie friendly for my man (though I did add way more greens – load it up!)
– Apple slices.
– Carrot sticks.
– Trail mix (store bought mix from the bulk bins at Whole Foods). You could also make your own. Try my speedy Cranberry Pepita Trail Mix.
– Chips & crackers. Obviously these are fun road trip snacks, and easy to munch on in the car. I choose secretly nutritious and high-in-fiber chips to make the most of this snack. I bought vegetable chips, Plentils (awesome chips made of lentils), and Bean & Rice Chips. Other great options are: rice chips, lentil crackers, and all hosts of higher-in-fiber and lower-in-crap treats!
– Chickpea Salad Sandwiches (recipe below)
All packed up in my cute beach bag! I packed everything up last night, made my green juice and popped it in some mason jars. I also made the filling for my chickpea sandwiches last night, and filled the pitas this morning.
I’m packing plenty of food in case we don’t want to stop anywhere – this should last us all day. Or we’ll have leftovers for the trip back.
chickpea salad sandwich:
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 rib celery
3 T reduced fat vegenaise
2 T sweet pickle relish
1 t spicy brown mustard
1/2 t celery salt
1/2 t turmeric
1 t umeboshi vinegar
1/2 avocado, sliced
crunchy greens, like romaine hearts
2 whole wheat pitas
Add chickpeas, celery, and shallot to a food processor and grind quickly to chop everything up. Add the rest of the ingredients through the vinegar, and process just to combine. Stuff into pita with avocado and greens.
An excellent transportable lunch!
Happy Memorial Day weekend! Hope you all have a fantastic time 😀
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 443; Calories from Fat: 170; Total Fat: 18.9g; Saturated Fat: 1.6g; Sodium: 522mg; Total Carbohydrates: 60.8g; Dietary Fiber: 15.1g; Sugars: 10.7g; Protein: 14.2g