For starters, folks, I have a BIG APOLOGY to send to a whole bunch of you – yesterday I was tweaking some things around the blog-a-log (you prob notice some changes now and I’ve got a few more up my sleeve!) and my recently-empty comments alerts went crazy! I don’t know what happened, but normally I ignore the alerts on my dashboard and only pay attention to the email alerts which weren’t coming… so I’ll be responding to some couple-month-old comments and making the rounds to visit all you sweet readers who I’ve accidentally ignored lately! Sooooo sorry, hugs and kisses to you all!
Alright, on to this beauty. Don’t you want this pretty little sparkly drink?! I absolutely love it!!!
I had an awesome little non-alcoholic drink several weeks back at Broderick’s Roadhouse. It was in the middle of my wine-tasting weekend with some friends from LA, so when I saw this fresh tonic on the menu described as a “cure-all” – it seemed like the perfect alcohol-free brunch drink to pack in some goodness in a wine-filled weekend 😉
It was truly delicious.
So I had to come up with an at-home version of this healing morning tonic.
To really soak up the healing benefits, I picked up some high-quality tonic made with great ingredients including tonic’s mystery healing ingredient, quinine. If you look up quinine, it’s kind of a strange compound. It’s made from a certain kind of bark and is credited with some great medicinal qualities, like fighting inflammation, helping digestion and circulation. It’s often touted as helping muscle cramps, and is used to treat malaria! But once we’re talking about higher doses, it doesn’t sound like a health-promoting compound… so let’s stick to just the tonic water and call it enough quinine for the day.
That being said, starting the day off with a small bit of quinine, the goodness of citrus juices, fresh ginger and lemongrass, and a bit of honey (for my fellow honey-eating vegans, though you sure can choose a different sweetener!) this drink will rev up your metabolism, help your digestion, quell that inflammation, and generally start your day off right.
This bad boy is a great way to start any day!
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 lemon
- 2 limes
- 1 orange
- 1t grated fresh ginger
- 1t grated fresh lemongrass
- 2t honey (optional - can add more or less to taste)
- 12 oz tonic
- fresh mint
- Juice all the citrus. You can strain if you want to. Mix together and stir in tonic.
- *the honey depends on how sweet or tart your citrus is - mine was all REALLY sour so I stirred in a good teaspoon to each glass, but if your citrus is sweet enough you can omit completely. If you are a honey-free vegan, you can substitute with agave, maple syrup, coconut nectar, or simple syrup.
- Calories: 150; Calories from Fat: 5; Total Fat: 0.6g; Sodium: 3mg; Potassium: 527mg; Total Carbohydrates: 40.6g; Dietary Fiber: 6.8g; Sugars: 27.8g; Protein: 2.8g