Time for a breakfast SPLURGE! I am all about starting my day with a healthy smoothie, oatmeal, tofu scramble. BUT sometimes starting off with a decadent pastry or really satisfying cheesy sausage-y treat is just perfect.
I made these awesome savory spinach and sausage breakfast croissants with Preston in mind. He loves this kind of thing, and I swear half the reason he goes to the farmer’s market with me is to get a bacon and cheddar scone from his favorite stand. 😉
Tofurkey Italian sausage, our favorite melty Daiya cheddar slices, and sauteed spinach with garlic and onions wrapped in vegan puff pastry…. ummmm yeah. That’ll do.
I did all the prep for these the night before I baked them off, and stuck them ready to go in the fridge. In the morning, I grabbed them and threw them in the toaster oven while I made coffee and got ready for the morning. It made for an extra special weekday breakfast 🙂 Plus Preston was sooooo happy with this breakfast. I think I’ll try making a big batch and freezing them, because that sure would make the BEST easy freezer breakfast when we’re in a pinch! (I’ll update this post if I try that out!)
- 1/2 sheet puff pastry
- 1/2 Tofurkey Italian sausage
- 2 t avocado oil (or other mild flavored oil)
- 1/2 C frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 shallot
- 2 slices Daiya cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute spinach and shallot in the oil. Just cook for about 3 minutes, until fragrant and the shallot is turning translucent. Allow to cool a few minutes before using.
- Cut puff pastry into two squares. Roll each one out until it's about half the thickness you started with. Spread half of the spinach mixture into the middle of each piece, then layer on a slice of Daiya and crumble the sausage on top. Fold the edges in and roll the pastry up.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes, until golden brown and puffy.
- Devour that sucker!
- Calories 366; Calories from Fat 205; Total Fat 22.8g; Saturated Fat 9.3g; Cholesterol 17mg; Sodium 737mg; Potassium 113mg; Total Carbohydrates 26.6g; Dietary Fiber 3.2g; Sugars 1.6g; Protein 16.6g