I have JUST what your hump day needs! A cold brew coffee protein smoothie! The absolute perfect post-workout treat for a super sleepy summer morning 🙂
Last week, Preston and I switched up our morning routine a wee bit. One of my closest friends just moved back to town and started working at Preston’s office and commuting with him. (Hooray!) Boring logistical details completely skipped, all you need to know is this meant it would be way easier for Preston to come back home from the gym and get ready there instead of getting ready at the gym.
I’m pretty happy with this new plan (aside from the fact that we did a horrible job actually getting up and working out last week…so far we have a better track record this week) because it means we get to spend a little extra time together, drive to the gym together, and I have him around longer in the mornings.
I also decided I’ll try making a smoothie as soon as we get back from our workout so I can send him off with a healthier breakfast than he’d otherwise have. (Plus I had to shift something around since he stole my shower time!!!)
Anyhow. I thought it would be SO fun to make a coffee smoothie because (a) we have some super yummy mocha protein powder; and (b) we have to wake up a touch earlier for this new plan. So now we get some extra caffeine and cover our coffee and protein shake needs with one bevvie.
So I snagged a bottle of TJ’s cold brew concentrate and made the absolute BEST ice cubes possible with them. Thus the super spectacular base for my cold brew coffee protein smoothie. The rest is even easier 😉
- 1 C Trader Joe's (or your favorite brand) cold brew coffee concentrate
- 1 C vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large scoop Vegan mocha protein powder*
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 t maple syrup
- * the large scoop that came in ours is essentially a double scoop (weird) but the point is to use two servings here
- Pour cold brew concentrate into ice trays and freeze.
- Once you've got frozen coffee cubes, just combine everything into a blender and blend until smooth.
This bad boy will certainly perk you up after an early morning workout!