Who wants a healthy breakfast that tastes like dessert?!?
I have a pretty killer sweet tooth. I always have. Odd thing is, I’m growing out of it but I forget that I’m growing out of it. I keep wondering when I’ll really remember that I don’t love sweets quite the way I used to…. but it’s a no go.
What that MEANS is that I am still so used to reaching for sweets out of habit (and because they still look and sound good o me!) and then I take a few bites, feel like crap, remember that I don’t like this the way I used to, and then I have to find something savory to wash the sugar from my mouth and soothe my tummy.
Ugh. So dumb.
Of course, I’m the absolute worst at it during work. Stress, boredom, annoyance, or just an afternoon lull have me reaching for the office candy dish way too often. And then regretting it.
I found that keeping yummy protein powder at work for shakes when my sweet tooth hit helped a ton.
But a protein packed chocolate muffin with some chocolate chips in it????? [insert drooling emoji here…. if there was such a thing 😉 ]
I’m way in love with these. They’re the definition of a happy medium between healthy and a bit of a treat. I’ve had them for breakfast, snacks, and dessert, and they fit the bill anytime.
- 2 C chocolate protein powder
- 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 C chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together. Pour in wet ingredients and stir well. Stir in chocolate chips at the end. You can increase or decrease the amount of chocolate chips if you want them to be more dessert-like or a healthier breakfast option.
- Spoon into muffin tins. The recipe should make 16 regular sized muffins. I made 12 regular ones and 12 miniature ones.
- Bake miniature muffins for about 10-15 minutes, and regular ones for about 20-25 minutes, until cooked through.