It is going to be a STRUGGLE for me to keep the pressure off this year. I know it will be a long work in progress.Since I’m working on simplifying this year, I thought I’d share a bunch of ways we can prep for simpler living. Obviously, my first instinct when I thought of most of these was “I should make a January challenge with something to do everyday to help simplify!“Um, no. Opposite of taking the pressure off.
But there were still a few ideas that I implemented (or hope to implement soon) to declutter my home, mind, inbox, blog reel, and anything else that eats into my TIME and attention and doesn’t fuel me in return. I got rid of time-wasting distractions, things that don’t help or inspire me, or bog me down. Because nobody needs that crap.
10 Ways to Simplify Your Life
- Unsubscribe from unwanted emails. (Or sign up for unroll.me, I love this service!)
- Cut down on blogs in your reader. Because if you’re anything like me, you add blogs to your reader daily and they add up FAST.
- Purge your belongings. (I do my clothes when the seasons change, but purged my beauty products, office crap, and cleaning products this weekend which made a surprising difference)
- Get rid of magazines more than 1 month old. Give up. Start fresh.
- Donate anything in your pantry that you are just not using. You do not have to find a use for that random sauce you bought 7 months ago. So… give it up.
- Unfollow people on ALL your social media accounts that you don’t actually care about, or that don’t inspire you or enrich your life. (Seriously, scrolling Instagram should NOT take an hour…)
- Repair broken items in your home. Take stained clothes to the dry cleaner. Get those little rubber bits on your stilettos replaced. If you don’t care about an object enough to pay to have it fixed or to invest the time and do it yourself, then GET RID OF IT. (Note: this is also a very important feng shui cure)
- Put away your holiday decor and replace it with something that makes you smile. (I normally am happy to take down my Christmas stuff a day or two after Christmas, but this year I’m fighting it. So I’m leaving it up until I’m really done with it. But I loved the tree lights extra this year, so I bought hysterical R2D2 lights – see! – to keep the joy in my living room.)
- Clear out the unhealthy crap. If you’re trying to be healthier this new year, all that Christmas candy and leftover goodies from parties you hosted are NOT doing you any favors. So pack them up into single-serve bags or throw them OUT.
- Organize your (healthy) recipes. (I notoriously flag all my cookbooks. I usually get it all flagged up within 2 days of getting a new cookbook. But I just bought a binder, dividers, and page protectors to organize my magazine tear-outs and printed recipes. HOORAH!)
Those are my 10 ways to simplify your life! I hope you find these helpful, and maybe they’ll give you more ideas on ways to simplify your life. So let’s clear out the clutter (mental and physical), and set the stage for a happy, healthy, clear-minded new year!