I know I already went all out for pumpkin recipes, but I just couldn’t help posting one more! I made these fantastic pumpkin muffins – a super healthy protein muffin with a super decadent buttery streusel topping. And I just had to share.
You guys KNOW I like to balance my treats with my healthy food. And I love that this is a combination of both. I was trying to make a streusel out of ingredients as healthy as the muffins themselves. And I got a decent result. But man, nothing compares to a buttery REAL streusel. So I figured if I put that on an otherwise unobjectionable muffin, it’s the perfect compromise. 😀
We’re getting right into the recipe today! Have a super spectacular Thanksgiving week, loves!
- 1/2 C pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 3/4 C vanilla protein powder
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 2 T sugar
- 2 T butter
- 3/4 t pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- tiny pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk all wet ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate medium bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
- Spoon into cooking-sprayed muffin tins.
- Soften butter until spreadable. Using a dining fork, mash all ingredients together until you have a thick paste. Using your fingers, crumble bits of the streusel onto the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.