Hey let’s have another Friday cocktail, mmkay??
I have been meaning to make an espresso martini basically since I started this blog. I don’t even know why I’ve procrastinated so long.
Maaaany years ago when I lived in Pasadena, I would go to a restaurant with a Monday night martini happy hour. Five dollar martinis (holla!) of a bajillion types. On one visit, I tried and LOVED the espresso martini. Had two of them.
Did. not. sleep. at. all.
It was equally delicious and disastrous. I highly recommend DECAF espresso in this one.
OR go for the caffeine and it’s the perfect brunch cocktail!!! Or pre-game cocktail? Not that I do any pre-gaming anymore… 😉
This little cocktail is equally SWEET and STRONG. It’s basically like drinking melted coffee ice cream as a vodka chaser. (Wow, is it just me or does that actually sound pretty good?) Made extra sweet with Trader Joe’s coffee syrup they put out this summer! I promised y’all I’d find some cocktails to make with that stuff.
Ummmm…. enough rambling. So let’s martini.
- 1 C sugar
- 1 C water
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 oz vodka
- 1 oz Irish cream
- 1/2 oz coffee syrup
- 1/2 oz vanilla bean simple syrup
- 1 1/2 oz espresso
- optional: honey and rimming sugar
- Add sugar and water to a small saucepan. Scrape the vanilla beans out of the vanilla pod. Add those to the saucepan, and throw the whole pod in too. Simmer until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool. Remove vanilla pod. Store in the fridge.
- Shake everything together in a martini shaker full of ice.
- If you want a pretty sugar rim, coat the rim of your martini glass in honey and then dip in rimming sugar. I used silver because it's GORGEOUS. 🙂