GAAAAAHHHH this lemon poppyseed pull apart bread is ridiculous.
It may be my new favorite dessert. I seriously contemplated making a new one the day after I finished off this one. I just… I can’t believe it’s gone…. 🙁
I am SO happy with how well this turned out. I had never made pull-apart bread before, but I’ve seen a million versions of Flo Braker’s recipe floating around on the interwebs (like this incredible goodness!!!) Savory or sweet, these pull-apart bread recipes always catch my eye.
So I dreamed up what I wanted to make, and it seems like I’m always drawn to the sticky-or-gooey ones so when I thought of filling the bread with something like lemon curd, I could not resist. It’s the messiest, stickiest, gooey-ist bread around.
It’s the perfect dessert. You could try to say that this is a breakfast loaf, but that’s like when you try to say that a chocolate muffin filled with fattening melty chocolate chips and sugar is breakfast.
It’s dessert. Delightful, sticky, amazing, lemony dessert.
I’ve done nothing to make this recipe healthier. Sometimes I just want a really satisfying, unhealthy, sweet treat. Don’t get me wrong, I love making healthier desserts sometimes, but that’s a totally different kind of treat.
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) yeast
- 2 T oil
- 2/3 C cashew milk
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/2 C water
- 1 T poppyseeds
- 2 T cornstarch + 2 T water
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 2 t non-dairy milk (or more as needed for the right consistency)
- 1/2 t lemon extract
- Heat the cashew milk briefly in the microwave (just about 30 seconds), and combine with the sguar and yeast. Allow to proof for five minutes.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and let rise for an hour. While it rises, make the lemon filling.
- Combine all ingredients except cornstarch and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. After the sugar has completely dissolved, stir in the cornstarch and water mixture and whisk until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool while the dough finishes rising.
- Once the dough has risen, roll it into a large rectangle as flat as you can get it.
- This part gets really messy, but there's no avoiding it (and it's totally worth it, I swear.) Spread the lemon mixture over the dough. Sprinkle with the poppyseeds. Then slice the dough into 6 long strips, and then slice the other way into 5 fatter strips, so that you have about 30 rectangles.
- Do NOT worry about making this perfect - in fact, make sure it's a little imperfect because that makes the top of the loaf prettier!
- Pick up the gooey sticky rectangles and fling them in a cooking sprayed loaf pan. Sprinkle with more poppyseeds if you like. This part is MAD messy. You will lose some filling. That's FINE.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, until the top is turning golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.
- Whisk everything together. Drizzle all over that bread!
- nutrition facts per serving: Calories 236; Calories from Fat 23; Total Fat 2.6g; Sodium 2mg; Potassium 34mg; Total Carbohydrates 50.5g; Dietary Fiber 0.8g; Sugars 26.6g; Protein 3.2g